Living in my husband's home town really does a number on your ego. I am at times a nameless wonder, known only as my husband's wife. It's understandable-they knew him first...but it becomes a bit of a smash plates kind of reaction when people neglect to learn my name. Or seem unable to associate me with anything other than wifery. Fortunately I have a wonderful husband and am not the wife of a jackhole. That would cause a multitude of problems.
The man and I, affectionately referred to as 'J' for the moment (give me a minute to think of something catchy) are coming up on 5 years of holy matrimony. 5 years makes me think holy crap. Really? Has it been that long? It seems like only yesterday that he proposed to me near the water lillies. Just moments ago that I sprinted down the aisle of the church and wanted to leave the reception early. You get the point. The time has flown by even when I didn't think it would.
The last 2.5 years J has been a law student. An excellent law student. And this, more than anything has reshaped my mindset about life, love, and the 'rules' of the household. As a proponent of equal rights and feminist theory I never realized how much I wanted someone else to take care of me until I became the sole provider of the house. It was a shock that I was not prepared for and one that I have come to deal with, though am far from embracing. In part, I don't fully embrace it because it's hard and quite frankly, I wouldn't mind taking easy street once in a while.
This blog arena is for me and my journey of self discovery. What I have learned and what I continue to learn. The world is an entirely different place than what I had envisioned at 18...and quite honestly I rather enjoy the adventure.
1 comment:
The name of your BLOG alone got me here, but I too at one point lived in my H's hometown and became henseforth known as Seanswife. That was my name. Excellent.
Post a Comment